Fathers can be the hardest people to buy gifts for. Either their hobbies are too expensive for your price range, or they have a non-existent “wish-list” since they buy everything they want themselves.
Thankfully, food is always a welcomed gift. Given that November is my father’s birthday month, I recently had a brainstorm session to think up a creative gift for the man who has everything and wants nothing.
My father has a sweet spot for caramel corn, so I decided to take a modern spin on a classic treat – Bourbon Caramel Corn. While you might be concerned that the bourbon will be overpowering, I can assure you that the alcohol kick is boiled off and you are left with a subtle flavoring. Enjoy!
Bourbon Caramel Corn
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. corn syrup
- 4 Tbs. bourbon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- In a sauce pan combine the butter, corn syrup, sugar and salt and bring to a boil
- Let boil and continue to stir for five minutes
- Stir in the bourbon and baking soda. The caramel should get light and frothy
- Immediately pour over popcorn and stir to coat
- Spread caramel corn evenly over parchment paper and let cool
- Break apart and store in an air tight container