Honestly, I had never eaten a beet besides a little taste-test nibble of my mom’s homemade pickled beets. After reading numerous articles raving about the health benefits of beets, I decided it was time I give the root vegetable another chance. I started off slow by adding them to our green juice (now referred to as “pink juice”) then I felt ready to go one step further and make beet chips!
I burnt my first batch, but thankfully the smoke alarm didn’t go off! I felt a bit silly that I had messed up, but I didn’t let it defeat me and I tried again. With a close eye on the oven, I finally achieved a crispy (not burnt!) batch of beet chips.
Paired with a creamy yogurt ranch dip these chips will disappear in no time! They are a delicious side dish to add to your dinner rotation and a great way to increase your consumption of beets! Enjoy!
- 2-3 Beets
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Wash the beets and cut their stems off
- Slice the beets into thin strips using a knife or mandolin
- Toss beets slices with olive oil
- Spread out evenly on a baking sheet
- Sprinkle with salt
- Bake at 350˚ for 15-20 minutes (keep an eye on them)
- Let cool on a wire rack then serve