Chocolate and mint. A pairing made in heaven. Am I right?! This is just a combination I can’t pass up. While it’s often categorized as a holiday flavor, I’m guilty of indulging in it all year long. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that these Chocolate Candy Cane cookies were on the top of my list to bake!
The dough, a decadent mixture heavy with melted chocolate, will test your willpower. While you may be tempted to eat the batter before you roll them out to bake, the wait is worth it. Trust me!
Once the cookies are out of the oven and have time to cool, you are ready for the fun part – decorating! If you have had a particularly stressful day, then you will get even more joy out of this stage since you get to smash candy canes with a rolling pin. Now, don’t get too carried away since you may bust open your Ziploc bag and little pieces of candy cane will fly all over your kitchen. (I may, or may not be speaking from experience….)
Now that your candy canes are crushed into little pieces, all you have to do is dunk your cookie into melted chocolate and add a dusting of candy cane on top. Set aside for the chocolate to set, then you are ready to enjoy your cookies. Enjoy!
Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
- 3/4 C. butter
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1.5 C. brown sugar
- 2 C. chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 C. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bar dark baking chocolate
- 3 candy canes, crushed
- In a large pan on low heat, melt the butter, water and sugar.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Once cool, beat in the eggs, then slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Chill dough for 1 hour, then roll into small balls and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once cookies have cooled, and dip them half-way in melted chocolate.
- Place on a non-stick surface and sprinkle the cookies with candy canes.
- Once the chocolate has set, store cookies in an airtight container.