When I was growing up I always thought we had a large garden. It spread the length of our backyard and was home to rhubarb, tomatoes, cucumbers, raspberries – the list could go on! After an afternoon playing out in the yard or swimming in the pool, my siblings and I would scavenge around in the garden for a quick snack.
Now that my siblings and I are all grown, you would think the family garden would scale back. Wrong. My parents have taken it to a whole new level and expanded the garden to triple it’s original size. While they sell produce at the farmers market, they still have an overflow of fruits and veggies. Luckily, that means I get to stock my fridge with fresh homegrown produce.
My last haul included a bag of strawberries. I ran through a list of recipes to use the strawberries and settled on these yogurt parfaits. They are quick and easy to assemble and make for a delicious mid-week breakfast.
Strawberry Compote Parfait
- 2 C. strawberries, slices
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- Greek yogurt
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring the strawberries, honey and lemon juice to a simmer.
- Once bubbling, reduce the heat and use a wooden spoon to mash the strawberries.
- Continue cook for 10 minutes, occasionally stirring
- Remove from heat and let cool
- In an airtight container, layer the strawberry compote under a dollop of greek yogurt.
- Top with strawberry slices and a drizzle of honey.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.