Easy Homemade Vanilla Extract
You wouldn’t think a small change in baking, like using pure vanilla extract, would make a difference – but it does. The simple switch can elevate your baked goods from ordinary to scrumptious. If you are a serious foodie, you may want to take it up an extra level and infuse your own vanilla extract at home!
All you need to make the extract at home is vanilla beans, your choice of alcohol and a lot of patience! After three months, your extract will be rich in flavor and ready to use. At this point you may want to keep your tincture all to yourself, but if you are feeling generous, this would be a lovely gift to give.
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 6 vanilla beans
- 8 oz. Bourbon, tequila, or vodka
- Slice the vanilla beans lengthwise and place in a mason jar
- Cover with alcohol and seal shut with the lid
- Place in a cool, dark room and shake occasionally
- After three months the extract is ready to use