Afternoon in Algoma, WI

March 18, 2016 at 2:00 AM 8 comments

Day Trip to Algoma, Wisconsin!

Some days I just can’t shake off the desire to explore a new place. Ian and I are currently planning an out-of-state trip this year, but in the meantime, I needed to get in the car and drive! We are lucky to live in a state scattered with little towns brimming with unique cultures. On this particular day we chose to visit Algoma, WI!

Day Trip to Algoma, Wisconsin!

Algoma is a small town nestled on the shore of Lake Michigan. I was drawn to this town for its gorgeous boardwalk, but more on that later! Ian and began our day with a tour of the von Stiehl Winery. For only $4 a piece, we were able to go behind the scenes of the winery and view the bottling line as well as the Rathskeller which dates back to the civil war!

Day Trip to Algoma, Wisconsin!

After a complementary wine tasting, Ian and I walked two doors down to the Ahnnapee Brewery Tap Room. While he sampled a few brews, I snacked on a warm pretzel since I still have not acquired the taste of beer (much to Ian’s dismay!)

Day Trip to Algoma, Wisconsin!

Once we settled our tab, we headed downtown to take a self-guided walking tour of the Walldog Wave murals. I had to treat Ian to a chai tea latte at Caffé Tlazo afterwards since his hands got so cold waiting for me to take a million photos of all the murals. #bloggerproblems

However, it was worth a few numb fingers since the walking tour led us to stumble upon a vintage gas station, retro advertisements, and adorable doorways (a photographer’s dream!)

Day Trip to Algoma, Wisconsin!

We finished our day trip with a sunset stroll along the Crescent Beach Boardwalk. It was a clear day in Algoma and the view of the lake and the lighthouse was stunning. I’m looking forward to making another trip during the summer so we can take advantage of the beach!

Day Trip to Algoma, Wisconsin!

Where are your favorite travel destinations? Ian and I are looking to expand our list of places to visit!

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Life. Tags: , , , .

St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Straw Flags Wildflower Place Setting

8 Comments Add your own

• 1. Tom Morrell  |  March 19, 2016 at 8:20 AM

Come back is the summer for some world class salmon and trout fishing. Sandpiperfishing.com

• 2. sjbreunig  |  March 19, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Yes! We will definitely be back in the summer!

• 3. kenziek1980  |  March 19, 2016 at 8:51 AM

This looks so pretty! My dad usually takes my sister and I on a day trip in Wisconsin so we’re always looking for new places! I really liked Bayfield when I went a few summers ago! But definitely loved Hawaii 😉
    x Kenzie
    Kenzieblogslife.blogspot.com

• 4. sjbreunig  |  March 19, 2016 at 9:57 AM

I just looked up Bayfield and it looks stunning! Thanks for the recommendation! I will have to add it to our list of places to explore:)

• 5. Robyn Rebeor-Harper  |  March 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Thank you for the wonderful post about your visit to Algoma. I shared the link on the Algoma Area Chamber of Commerce’s Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/AlgomaAreaChamber/.

• 6. sjbreunig  |  March 21, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Thank you, Robyn! I had a lovely time visiting Algoma and I have a feeling we will be back soon!

• 7. Cynthia Ruchti  |  March 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Love these comments. I’m a novelist and wrote a book published last year called As Waters Gone By set in BAYFIELD and Madeline Island–must sees… Last year’s Christmas novella (beautiful hardcover) was An Endless Christmas, set in Stillwater, MN, just over the border. And THIS year’s Christmas novel is set in ALGOMA! Love these images. They inspire me!

• 8. sjbreunig  |  March 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for stopping by the blog, Cynthia! I love that your next novel is set in Algoma. I can’t wait to read it once it is released!