My parents always knew the woods on our farm were home to morel mushrooms, but we never went hunting for them. That is until my Dad found out a few family members and friends enjoyed them. Now he spends a few afternoons a summer scouring the ground to bring home a basket full of morels.
I was lucky to be home one weekend when my dad was harvesting the morel mushrooms and I was able to sneak away with a few. I had never cooked anything with morels before, but I thought they would make a delicious flatbread. And boy, did they ever!
This flatbread can be nibbled on as a light appetizer or be made into the star of the show as a delicious entrée. If morels are hard to come by, swap them out for your favorite type of mushroom. I’m sure the end result will be just as appetizing!
Morel Mushroom Flatbread
*Makes two mini flatbreads
- 2 mini naan flatbread
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 C. Sliced morel mushrooms
- 1/2 C. Shredded gouda cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350˙
- Place the naan flatbread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil
- Top with minced garlic, cheese, and mushrooms
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown
- Let cool slightly and slice before serving